As a lover of honey bees, and frankly a huge fan of the Bee Movie, I thought it only appropriate to fashion a drink in honor of these magical little creatures. This coffee recipe uses hot coffee, but can be made into an iced coffee by blending all of the ingredients with ice. I love this chai coffee with honey infused milk foam as it replaces sugar with honey. And, as a bonus, it uses local honey (the only way to buy it, as it is frankly more fun to buy local and it supports the "save the honey bees" movement). If you can drink this coffee and plant a bee-friendly flowering garden at the same time without using pesticides, then all the better.
....the more bees we can protect, the more honey (and food and stuff), and the more we can make this drink.
Chai coffee with honey infused foam
1. Place coffee and 1/2 cup of milk in to a pot along with the chai tea and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
2. In a separate pot, heat the remaining milk on low along with the honey and stir often. Do not let this boil. Remove from heat and use a frother or electric mixer to whip the milk and honey mixture.
3. Remove the coffee tea mix from heat and use a sieve to strain the tea leaves. Pour this in to your mug leaving plenty of room for the milk and honey froth (you should have some left over).
4. Pour your honey and milk in to the mug and use a spoon to add froth to the top of your drink (you should have milk left over).
5. Sprinkle with ground cinnamon or chocolate, drizzle more honey over top and enjoy!
**Is your milk not frothing? Try whipping it cold, add the honey and then microwave it for 30-45 seconds (depending on your microwave).
For Iced coffee:
1. Place chai tea-coffee-milk mix and milk and honey mix in to the refrigerator to cool.
2. Once cool, add both liquid mixtures to a blender along with 1 cup of crushed ice.
3. Blend, serve and enjoy!
Pair this with the Save the bees mug here!